This was the second and third phase of the Klondyke project in Bootle, that involved the demolition and site clearance of 465 terraced housed, one apartment block and 37 garages. These works included:
- Asbestos Removal.
- Soft strip.
- Demolition and site clearance (some were separated and demolished by hand due to existing occupants in adjacent houses).
- Demolished down to slab level, slab left in due to contaminated land.
- Knee rail erected around the perimeter of site.
- Applying for all associated permits.
- Providing scaffolding, waste removal and skips.
- Isolation of services to the site: Gas, electricity, water and meters associated.
- Keeping dust and noise to a minimum.
- Maintaining a detailed Site Waste Management Plan and Health and Safety File throughout the project.
The machines used for this project: PC220 Komatsu with rotation grab and demolition bucket, a 14, 20 and 38 tonne machine, a semi high reach and 50 tonne high reach.
Due to the close proximity to the Hawthornes High School our Operations Director Arthur Marley and Project Manager Alistair Buckley conducted an assembly on safety awareness in the local high in order to highlight the dangers of a demolition site for those unqualified and unsupervised.
We had amazing participation from the pupils and staff at the school during the assembly and so Beech Group set a competition for the children to design and make their own ‘Demolition Safety’ poster to win a voucher for AMAZON.