Beech Consultants (BC) assisted a multidisciplinary UK consultancy to secure a project by leading the presentations to the site owners to provide consultancy services for the intrusive site investigation of the site, risk assessments remediation strategy, and management of the anticipated remediation works contract. The site was the former location of the world’s largest cellophane manufacturing plant and was undergoing complete demolition at the time of formulating the RS, which suffered from a severe deadline/ time constraint in order to allow the site to be purchased by a third party. Cellophane and other products had required the use of over 100 hazardous chemicals in the manufacturing process. In addition, the site complex contained over 50 underground tanks, chambers and basements. All physical obstructions, some over 5.0m metres in depth, were scheduled for removal.
Beech Consultants were commissioned to undertake the following works:
- The provision of a Remedial Strategy (RS) and Contract Specification (CS) for the remediation of a former 50hectare manufacturing plant in Somerset.
- This element was specifically completed by BC on behalf of the lead consultant.
- The Strategy was based on providing a site that could ultimately be used for residential development.
- All soils contaminated with hydrocarbons were to be treated on site.
- The RS was agreed with the Local Authority and the Environmental Agency to allow the Contract Specification to be established by BC.
- The Contract was subsequently signed and remediation works commenced in July 2012, and completed on time in September 2013.